If you are on a budget, or don’t have a lot of ingredients, and you want a quick home-made treat, try this recipe.
Makes: 12 cupcakes
- 125g caster sugar
- 115g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 125ml milk
- 50ml lemonade or mineral water (or extra milk)
- 225g self raising flour
- 1 pinch salt
Prep:10min › Cook:20min › Extra time:10min cooling › Ready in:40min
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease a muffin tin or line with paper cases.
- Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat until combined. Add milk water and stir. Gradually add flour while stirring, and a pinch of salt. You will then need to use the mixer on low to get out any lumps, and check that it is the right consistency for pouring, if not add more liquid. Spoon mixture into prepared tin.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool in tin for 5 minutes, then cool fully on a wire rack before icing with your favourite icing recipe.
Make your very own flavour combinations with any of these additions:
- Stir in any of the following with the milk: 1 teaspoon vanilla extract; 1 teaspoon almond extract; 1 tablespoon lemon, orange or lime zest.
- Add any of the following in with the flour: 150g chocolate chips; 125g chopped nuts, such as walnuts or hazelnuts; 125g dried fruit, such as sultanas, cranberries or currants; 75g desiccated coconut; 100g chopped glace cherries.
- To make a spice cake, mix in the following with the flour: 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves.
- For a chocolate cupcake, replace 1 1/2 tablespoons of the flour with unsweetened cocoa powder. Add 150g chocolate chips for a double chocolate version.
¾ cup of icing sugar
1 to 3 tablespoons of butter (depending on taste)
Enough milk for the icing consistency you desire
Pour icing sugar into a bowl and mix with the butter, and add milk gradually, until desired consistency for icing.
We would love for you to follow our exciting journey by joining our friends list here on our website and following us on our social media pages below.
If you have any comments or questions we would love you to leave them below or email us.
Travel is Sweet (Dream It, Experience It, Treasure It)
All images, photographs, and prints are exclusive property and may not be copied, downloaded, reproduced, transmitted, manipulated or used in any way without written permission of the photographer.
Disclosure: "Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission."